Saturday, March 1, 2014

The Case for God by Karen Armstrong

I read The Case for God by Karen Armstrong because I generally love this kind of a book. However, this time, not so much. I only got about half way through.
I never got to “the case for God” part, apparently. It felt as if it was simply a history of religious belief in many cultures. 

One interesting chapter, entitled “Silence” detailed a peculiar practice by Christians. Since God is indescribable in any words, that is, they can only hint at the truth of who He is, but not accurately describe him, early Christians felt only silence could reflect truthfully on God. Interesting idea, however, in practice, it looks the same as an unbeliever. So while they make a point, I think God gave us language, inexact as it is, for a reason.

I’m not sure what I was supposed to get out the rest of the book, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment