Thursday, June 23, 2016

Iliad by Homer

I'm currently taking the Hillsdale online course on Great Books 101. In order to deepen the course as much as possible, not only am I listening to the lectures and doing recommended reading, I'm trying my best to read the whole book referenced. So I started with The Iliad. I vaguely know the story, but I've never read the whole thing. Actually, I listened to it. This isn't the best way for me to read a book, but it was the most efficient, since I have a LONG list of books to actually read.

I enjoyed it. Of course I am in no position to criticise it. I suppose I could say it was awfully bloody for my taste. Perhaps boys would have their ears tickled by descriptions of brains and bowels gushing out, or eyeballs being impaled.

But I suppose all the blood and gore was meant to reinforce the theme of Achilles rage causing so much destruction. He certainly comes to a bad end, and loss of life seems to humble even him as he reflects on the dishonorable way he treated Hector.

Discussion Questions from the course:

  1. How do the characters' desires both make them who they are, but also lead to their destruction?
    There is a sense in the book that the characters innate personality traits lead them inexorably to their destinies. Achilles is offered the opportunity to settle down with a family and live to a ripe old age or die young with everlasting fame. It's almost not a choice for him. He simply cannot pass up on the glory. Similarly, Hector feels the weight of having to represent Troy in the battle with Achilles. He cannot not fight. It is his destiny and his personality will allow for nothing less. His wife knows this and foretells his death.

  2. Discuss the rage of Achilles. How does it make him great, but also lead to his downfall and eventual transformation?
    Achilles rage leads to all the bloodiness. He is so angry with Agamemnon that he calls for the destruction of his fellow Greeks in their battle with Troy. He is irrational to the point of calling for the defeat of his own side. Even his best friend is killed in the ensuing battle. Then, after Hector kills Patroclus, Achilles rage once again undoes him. Not only does he kill Hector, but he shamefully parades his body for 12 days. He is finally forced to apologize and humble himself before Prius, but it is clear his rage leads him to behavior he ultimately regrets.
  3. What does the Iliad have to teach us about free will?
    Certainly, the gods are playing on this field. They cause arrows to hit or miss their targets. They cause the battle to rage one way or another. They put thoughts and desires into the heads of the mortals. Yet, there still seems to be a good deal of free will. Achilles is offered a choice of destinies. He is offered a choice of how to respond to Agamemnon's treachery. He does not have to treat Hector's body in such a degrading manner. Patroclus does not have to don Achilles' armour and fight. All along the way, people make choices. It's their choices that allow such fertile ground for the gods mischief.
At the end, Tim reminded me that we had seen a movie based on the tale, Troy. So we had to watch that to relive the tale of Achilles. At least it gave me the opportunity to see how the movie diverged from the book. I suppose that's unavoidable. Still, I enjoyed both.

No comments:

Post a Comment