Thursday, January 4, 2024

The Discarded Image by C.S. Lewis

Having read many of C.S. Lewis' books, and considering him one of my favorite thinkers, I decided to tackle, The Discarded Image. I think I probably bit off more than I could chew. I blame my own meager education.

Lewis is making the point that the medievals had a full and coherent "model" of the world and from it grew all we know of it and the subsequent Renaissance. Lewis begins by describing the medieval man as, "not a dreamer nor a wanderer. He was an organizer, a codifier, a builder of systems. He wanted 'place for everything and everything in the right place.' Distinction, definition, tabulation were his delight" (10). 

Unfortunately, while I yield to better minds who claim great reverence for this work, I got lost time and again. 

I should probably read it again in twenty years. After I finish my "List of Great Books to Read Before I Die."


 

No comments:

Post a Comment